Some of the herbal raw materials and aromatic plants are as follows;
- Tongkat Ali (Eurycoma longifolia) – This herb is used as an aphrodisiac. It acts as a general tonic and has anti-malarial and anti-pyretic properties. The product is found to have anti-tumor and anti-oxidant qualities. . The decoction of the roots is usually consumed orally. Biochemically, it tends to increase testosterone production.
- Kacip Fatimah (Labisia pumila) – This product is used in the treatment of post-partum mothers, gonorrhea, rheumatism, piles and bone diseases. Research is being carried out for its estrogenic and androgenic properties and if viable, it will be used as medicine for hormone replacement therapy or estrogen related therapy.
- Hempedu Bumi (Andrographis paniculata) – This product is used for antipyretic, anti-fertility treatment, loss of appetite, anti-diabetes, anti-hypertensive and skin disorders such as eruption and scabies. It has a very bitter taste and is a strong liver tonic. The leaves of this herb are boiled and the decoction is taken orally.
- Misai Kucing (Orthosiphon stamineus) – Its preparation is used for treatment of kidney-related diseases, joint ailments, diabetes, arthritis, rheumatism and gout. It can removes uric acid through its diuretic activity.
- Pegaga (Centella asiatica) – Its anti-ageing properties is used in overall beauty enhancement products. It works by enhancing the connective tissue activity of the skin. Currently the product is produced as an ingredient in cosmetic formulations.
- Lidah Buaya (Aloe barbadensis) – Traditionally, it is being used to treat eczema and psoriasis. Its formulation is being applied to treat burns, as hair tonic and as laxative. For burns, the formulation is applied externally and the liquid formulation can be taken orally.
- Dukung Anak (Phyllanthus amarus) – It is usually used to treat high fever, yellow fever, Hepatitis B, diabetes and kidney disorders. Usually the leaves and roots of the plants are boiled and the resultant liquid is taken orally.
- Mas Cotek/ Cotet Emas (Ficus deltoida) – This product is taken for enhancing youthfulness and treatment for post-parturition. The formulation is prepared in the form of a tonic.
- Keladi Tikus (Typhonium flagelliforne) – The product is used to remove cancer cells and to increase one’s appetite. Traditionally, the plant is cut into small pieces and serves as supplement to main food consumption.
- Kadok (Piper sarmentosum) – It is used as superoxide scavenging and for treatment of rheumatism.
- Mengkudu (Morinda citrifolia) – This product acts as an anti-ageing agent and is also used for post-parturition treatment, anti-bacterial infection, aids in digestion and enhancing blood production. Its medicinal properties are derived from its fruits as well as from its leaves.
- Ati-ati Merah (Coleus blomei) – It is excellent for cuts and injuries, burned skin, stomach ache and irregular menstruation. Leaves of the plant are grounded and paste over the injured skin. Its leaves can also be eaten to provide treatment.
- Ketumbar Jawa (Eryngium foetidum) – It is used to treat sexual diseases, cholesterol reduction, fever and diarrhea. The plant can be boiled and its liquid can be taken orally, while its roots can be mashed and the resultant paste is used to cover the infected skin.
- Tetulang (Euphorbia tirucalli) – It is used for ulcer treatment, broken bones and tissue enlargement disorder. Traditional method of application is by rubbing it over the affected skin.
- Sambung Nyawa (Gynura procumbens) – This is used to control cholesterol content, high blood condition and diabetes. It can also be used to prevent cancer cells development and formation of piles.
- Cekur (Kaemferia galanga) – This is for treatment of influenza, tuberculosis and for bringing back normal condition of woman’s body after post-parturition. It is also good for purging disorder. It can be taken as food supplement and also for skin application in the form paste.
- Jarum Tujuh Bilah (Pereskia sacharosa) – This is for cancer treatment, high blood pressure, kidney ailment and headache. Usually the leaves are grind into tea form and taken orally as drinks, juices and also as food supplements (ulam).
- Pecah Beling (Strobilanthes crispus) – It is taken for reducing cholesterol level in the blood, to control diabetes, cancer and for easy urination.
(Compiled by MHC, 2009)
[MHC makes no warranties nor express or implied representations whatsoever regarding the accuracy, completeness, comparative or controversial nature, or usefulness of any information contained or referenced on this information. Statements made about products have not been evaluated by the National Pharmaceutical Control Bureau]